susanylee

susanylee

At Peace (The 'Burg, #2)

At Peace (The 'Burg, #2) - Kristen Ashley Thank you, Kristen Ashley, for writing books about mature characters who have lived, loved, and lost. "At Peace" was such a treat and a perfect 2nd foray into KA books after having read (and loved) "Sweet Dreams". Violet and Joe were both such complex, broken, yet strong characters that I felt so drawn into their lives and the people in them. There was such a sweetness to the way Joe interacted with Violet's girls and the chapter at Vinnie's Pizzeria in Chicago (where Vi & the girls meet Joe's family) was pure joy. I read it with a smile on my face laced w/ some serious LOL moments. Yes, Joe is a typical KA male lead: communicates through grunts, unbelievably handsome w/ a string of women in his path, difficult past, and in need of yet afraid of the love of a good woman...the uber-alpha male. But, the times where his sensitivity and care showed through, it was heartwarming. And Violet, god bless her, is a survivor with a soft heart but steely determination. Love her.