susanylee

susanylee

Love, Like Water - Rowan Speedwell 3.5+ starsSo…I’m on a cowboy kick. I like ‘em. Thus it’s pretty much a given that I’m predisposed to enjoy “Love, Like Water”. That, and its Rowan Speedwell, of whom I’m a big fan!This book is LOVELY. In fact, the first 75% of the book is a solid 4+ stars for me. The author manages to introduce us slowly and meticulously to Joshua, who for 3 years lived and worked undercover with one of the most notoriously vicious gangs in Chicago. And though he never lost sight of the goal, he did lose grip of himself. Joshua is painfully broken and has given up on ever finding his way. Getting to know him was heartwrenching and difficult and sad. Enter the Triple C ranch, owned by his Uncle Tuck and a place, apparently, far enough removed that Joshua would not be found by this drug cartel. And on it, the foreman, Eli. Eli is, for all intents and purposes, perfect. And honest to goodness, I want that man. Again, in a beautiful and non-annoying slow build, the two men find each other and fall in love. The healing takes time, but it’s lovely.Now, here’s where the book goes a little awry for me. A terribe tragedy happens and there are miscommunications and misunderstandings along the way. And snap, bad turns into good and all is well and tidy in a HEA. This all happens in the last 25% of the book. You can throw that slow-build out the window. Don’t get me wrong…I love me a HEA, ya know I do. But, this one gave me whiplash. Thankfully, by this point I was already engaged and fully bought into the story (despite some suspension of law/crime reality). So, it didn’t ruin the book for me. I was just caught off guard a bit. Ultimately, the coupling of Joshua and Eli made my heart FULL and I truly enjoyed the book as a whole. PS – the cover is pretty much perfect for this book and I lurves it!!!