susanylee

susanylee

Dead Man and the Restless Spirits (Dead Man, #1) - Lou Harper 3.5 starsLou Harper is a new-to-me author and I really really enjoy her style. Her writing is funny and quirky and sarcastic and those all appeal to me. The story is about Denton, who as a necromancer, is able to see dead people as well as feel & summon spirits. He doesn’t know much about his gifts or how he can utilize them until he meets his new neighbor, Bran. Bran is mysterious and a man of few words and Denton is drawn to him immediately…despite it being obvious, the guy has secrets.Denton in his pierced, care-free, take-no-sh*t way is charming and funny. Bran in his brooding, stoic, powerful way is sexy and hot. When Denton is finally able to break down the walls with Bran (and get to his secrets!), the pairing is likable and the partnership between them is sweet. Bran teaches Denton how to utilize his gifts and Denton teaches Bran how to lighten up! Being a sucker for a strong man reduced to a sap by love, I really enjoyed this coupling. The story as a whole is interesting. It reads more like an episodic serial than a novel and that actually felt like I was getting to know these MC’s over a span of time and shared experiences. That also, however, made the story feel choppy and I found myself putting my kindle down often and not being compelled to power through in one sitting. And though the story, I could tell, wanted to break through and be fresh and original, it harkened me back to a similar feel & plot in Jordan Castillo Price’s “PsyCop” series…which had the benefit of being my “first” and thus, of course, I compare all others to it. Denton is no Vic Bayne and Bran, though a hottie, would so lose to Jacob in a death match for sure! Dead Man & the Restless Spirits, in my mind, places a distant second. Though I do like Denton and Bran, I didn’t really get to know them well enough to LOVE them. I think I just need more. It’s a solid book 1. I am looking forward to the series continuing and I do recommend this to anyone who enjoys this paranormal-in-a-contemporary-setting genre. Oh and for all of you rando’s out there in GR-land that I notice chit chattin’ about tentacle sex…well…there might be something of the kind’ish in this book…just sayin’…Review AND giveaway available at: http://sidlove.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/pre-release-review-giveaway-dead-man-and-the-restless-spirits-by-lou-harper/