susanylee

susanylee

The Sky Is Dead - Sue  Brown When I really, really like a book, I can overlook a lot. I can overlook plot holes. I can suspend reality. I can justify lame twists in the story. I can even forgive bad editing. I wanted very much to put “The Sky is Dead” into the category of “books I really, really like enough to forgive the rest”. But, I just can’tA tragic and heartbreaking story told often in LGBT YA books, Danny is thrown out by his parents when they discover he’s gay. He has nowhere to turn and eventually ends up homeless at the age of 16. He lives “rough” on the streets, selling his body for money during desperate times, and just exists…survives. Harry is a scrawny schoolkid who one day is rescued from knife-wielding bullies by Danny. Harry crushes on Danny despite his homeless status and filth and a friendship-to-lovers relationship blossoms. And then tragedy strikes… Fast forward over a year: Danny is now “David” and starts a new life. He meets Jack while volunteering at a homeless shelter and the two hit it off. In a very short time, they forge a connection and fall in love. They are together for 8 years (if I did the math correctly) before Danny’s past that he’s tried to bury, comes back to haunt him.The book is told in first person, present tense, which I normally despise. But, Danny/David is an interesting and sympathetic enough character that I didn’t mind it as much. What I DID mind was the fact that the transition from Danny’s life to David’s life was completely off-page and never entirely explained. The tragedy that struck and the year that followed was hinted at but never fully described (given it was Danny’s POV, I can see why the author chose to do this, but it was ANNOYING.)And what I really, really, really DID mind (and what I just cannot overlook no matter how much I want to) is this: HOW THE HECK CAN JACK NOT RECOGNIZE DANNY AFTER HAVING BEEN INTIMATE WITH HIM AND HAVING LOVED HIM???? What, a haircut and weightloss makes someone a completely different person? What about the voice? What about the mannerisms? …this…this…I just can’t accept and it drove me nutso.The subject-matter is important. And the story, for the most part, was well-told and interesting. But, I just can’t embrace this book entirely because of that MAJOR irritation. However, if you are the type of person that can overlook a HUGE story flaw, then you might actually really enjoy this book...Full review at: http://sidlove.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/book-review-the-sky-is-dead-by-sue-brown/