susanylee

susanylee

Come Unto These Yellow Sands - Josh Lanyon Good...me likes. (and the 'choose your own adventure' angle is brilliant...I loved those books growing up!)There are just those times that a Josh Lanyon book works. He’s good at bringing you out of a book funk. Nothing life-altering, just an easy escape…His books are reliable (you know you’re always gonna get a 3-4 star read), entertaining (the man can write a good mystery)…yet always leave you wanting more (more steam, more connection, more of the MC’s, and a tidy “the end” that you’ll never get).“Come Unto These Yellow Sands” is all those things. It’s also very familiar: Swift and Max remind me of Adrien and Jake (Adrien English series). Swift is smart and sensitive. Max is a sometimes-jerk and a rock. There are holes throughout the book: I can’t even picture Swift since he’s not described physically at all, and Max, barely so. We know nothing about Max’s life and don’t get enough interaction among the 2 of them. And since it looks like this is a stand-alone and not a series, I wasn’t able to feel connected or invested.Still, I liked them and I liked the bits and pieces I got of their relationship. I even like the small town they’re in. I’d actually love for this to play out with a sequel and then some. As far as recommendation: well, if you want an easy read, it’s ok for that. If you want to check out Lanyon, I’d suggest reading his series instead (Common Ground, Adrien English, Holmes & Moriarity)…you’ll be more satisfied…