susanylee

susanylee

The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3) - Josh Lanyon I'm really torn about these books. I want to LOVE them, but I'm never entirely that entertained, or enamored, by them. However, after ending each one, I quickly purchase, download, and consume the next in the series. (clearly I'm the problem here! ha!)"The Hell You Say", book 3 of the Adrien English series was OK. By book 3, I've come to like and be loyal to our lead, Adrien. And by book 3, I think the author has found his voice with Adrien. Adrien is sharper, funnier, and stronger now. "'There are things you don't understand.' 'Well, yeah, starting with the popularity of reality TV and moving on down to adult men who wear Capri pants.'" Hysterical.I've disliked Jake, and his deeply closeted, thus, deeply selfish ways, from the beginning. He is, in my mind, despicable and doesn't deserve Adrien at all. There were some painful, heartbreaking moments in their relationship in this book, culminating in a realization on Adrien's part: "How could he deny who he was? How could he choose to live such a profound and cancerous deception?" At the risk of sounding like a broken record, these books are almost TOO heavy on mystery (the entire satanism storyline got really dense and convoluted...borderline ridiculous) and definitely TOO light on romance. But, I continue to invest more and more into Adrien so I'll read on...