susanylee

susanylee

Sempre - J.M. Darhower 3.5 stars (.5 star for Carmine's Italian alone! :) )I think I may be asked to surrender my "Goodreads" membership, never to write a review again. I know, I know...*flinching* *avoiding stares & gasps*...I am an island...the only one in the entire world who did not LOVE "Sempre". I tried...really I did! At least I liked it!This book had the makings to be the BEST ever written! But, something went awry...First, it suffered from "too-long-a-book-itis". I'm not opposed to reading a long book (proof: Kristen Ashley books!)...but keep me engaged. The longer the book went on, it allowed time for me to start getting irritated with Haven and wishing for the author to wrap it up already. And once I started getting annoyed, the eyes with which I read were skewed. Second, I just didn't believe, in the beginning, how/why Carmine fell for Haven. The author could try and explain it away with "colpo di fumine" (the thunderbolt - soul mates at first sight), but it felt forced to me. Yes, the relationship became more believable as it read on (and it had better considering how MUCH you had to read on), but I wasn't invested in them, to be honest.What I did love about the book: it's thought-provoking, heartbreaking, challenging what love, loyalty and relationships are all about. It's a book about human slavery, the mafia, teen angst, family drama, tragic parental deaths, and love. All great foundations...like I said, the makings of the BEST ever written. If only...