susanylee

susanylee

Heart of the Race - Mary Calmes 3.5 starsThis is "Fast & Furious, the Mary Calmes Edition". It was FUN and HOT and an adrenaline rush! I had a blast reading this. Brian and Varro had been friends since they were 9 and 10 years old when Brian looked out the window of his foster parents’ home to find his neighbor Varro on his roof about to take off in a go cart. It was best-friendship at first sight and the two shared a special connection for the decade-plus following. Until Brian realized he was in love with Varro…and it hurt too much knowing that Varro was straight…and a womanizer.The connection between the MC’s was an intense codependency. The two speed/risk junkies and their devotion to one another made a GREAT couple. The side characters of Varro’s parents, his brother Nico, and the motorcycle racing team were also all likable. I want MORE! Calmes’ depiction of the racing lifestyle was actually REALLY cool and to be honest, I had to look back once to make sure it was actually her who wrote this! It didn’t actually feel like her typical recipe…(we didn’t even get an eyebrow waggle until 35% into the book!!! What?) And I’m sure everyone’s wondering if this was Jory & Sam on motorbikes. To which I say…NO! Brian and Varro stood out all on their own!!!!Quick and easy and fun read. I so, so wish it was longer and didn’t wrap itself up so quickly.