susanylee

susanylee

Touch & Geaux - Abigail Roux Spoiler-tags engaged...but mostly spoiler-free review!I had mixed emotions reading this book. On the one hand, c’mon, it’s Ty & Zane. And Zane is my numero uno. And I unashamedly am one of those who was so happy to have the fluff-fest of “Stars & Stripes”. I couldn’t wait for more. On the other hand, I was tired of all the speculation. I was a bit irritated by what I felt was manipulation - ambiguous messages released around the book…driving readers insane with trying to guess what would happen. And mostly, I was put-off by the saga of “writers behaving badly”.FORGET ALL OF THAT.This story was EXACTLY what needed to happen to this series. If readers thought “Stars & Stripes” was going to be T&Z’s HEA, well, “Touch & Geaux” is the “eh, eh, eh…not so fast…they still have sh*t to work through”. Too many secrets existed between our boys…and they all-too-easily tried to sweep them under the rug in the past. Not anymore. Those secrets are coming out…and man, there are some painful, heartbreaking scenes between the two. Kudos to Abi Roux for her plot twists. I would NEVER have guessed that Ty’s secrets were what they were. And I was unprepared for how it actually could/would come between our boys and how much it would hurt. But, thankfully, along with that hurt, there was healing. Look, this book is at times ridiculous (one way over-the-top motorcycle rescue), at times all over the place (wait, who’s POV are we on now?), and at times eye-roll inducing (I mean, Ch 1 starts with a “Men of the FBI” calendar and guess who’s in it? …our UNDERCOVER agent boys…puh-lease…so outrageous!) But there are some fun parts (think A-team with special ops, SAS, cops, and FBI…good lord…my dream come true!), some real emotion (lies, betrayal, heartache), and BEST of all, we get to know more about Ty & Zane (their pasts, why they behave the way they do, what they really mean to each other)The ending was set up to be very obvious. But, meh…that’s this series for you. TO ANSWER SOME OF THE QUESTIONS (not really spoilers - general answers w/o the detail...but hidden just in case):Is there cheating? No. None. Not physical, nor emotional.If you’re a fan of Zane: He takes quite an emotional beating in this book and I think that’s why it hit me so hard. There are some scenes that had me bawling. But this book belongs to him…he’s the star of this one.What about Nick? Liam Bell? They don’t play as big of a role as it was speculated…Smut-level? Low, compared to other books. I’d rate it a 4 out of 10 on the smut-meter…Can I handle the angst? Aside from a couple really painful scenes, all-in-all, it’s not that bad. 4 out of 10 on the angst meter.Is there a cliffhanger? Yes, in a sense. But it was announced chapters and chapters beforehand and not unexpected. It pretty much paves the way for book 8. Is there an HEA? As much as there ever is with these two .But yes, I’d say there is for their relationship…but it’s clear there will be more challenges ahead…RECOMMENDATIONS:If you are a nut over Ty & Zane and have some reference to them in your profile name, this book will have you in tears, then have you squee'ing, and then you’ll finish swearing you’ll never be the same!If you’re a fan of the series, but your life doesn’t depend upon it, the book is heartfelt and you’ll walk away feeling glad you read it and liking T&Z more than you might have already.If you’re a I-can-take-it-or-leave-it person…well, I don’t know the story will be enough to grab you. This book is really more about some growing up our boys have to do and I’m not sure that will be that interesting to a casual reader. In fact, some of the OTT parts might totally turn you off. (But, then again, no matter what level of fan you are of the series, you might just hate it altogether. Who knows?)Overall, I felt it was the perfect book for this place in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Guess that means I’m now on countdown until book 8, which I think is still a year away… *ugh*