susanylee

susanylee

Special Forces - Soldiers - Directors Cut (Special Forces, #1) - Marquesate,  Aleksandr Voinov,  Vashtan Wow. There was so much hype surrounding the entire Special Forces series that I was actually afraid to read it. After having finished Book 1 – Soldiers, I’m even more afraid than ever to move on. I am completely connected and immersed and bound to Dan and Vadim.Aleksandr Voinov, who from this point onward in this review shall be referred to as “The Genius”, makes you EARN it in this book. It is an epic, sweeping, love story that spans years, but, not in the way where you just catch up with the characters 10 years later. You read each and every encounter between Dan and Vadim…painful, tragic, violent, twisted, tender, dysfunctional, physical, brutal, protective, loving. And then there is the 3rd main character, The War, always threatening to tear them apart, yet entirely the one that brings/keeps them together.The Genius wore me out with painstaking detail and I was left feeling battered, beaten, exhausted and completed sated. I found myself riding an emotional see-saw on how I felt about the characters: I hate him, I like him, I hate him, I love him…just as Dan and Vadim find themselves fighting understanding of who they are to one another: enemy, friend, enemy, lover. Back and forth, back and forth…until suddenly, without even recalling how it happened, I was totally drawn into a love story…pleading with The Genius to allow them to end alive, safe, and together.The last chapter of the Director’s Cut was easily the most intense LOVE scene I’ve ever read, both in its brutality and then in its tenderness. I was TORN UP by the end. The book is both subtle and in-your-face and is so brilliantly written that it will take your breath away.My heart feels raw…on to Mercenaries…Thanks to Monique, Erin, Elizabetta, and Amanda for the Buddy Read. And to everyone else for the shoulders and support. I have a feeling we've only just scratched the surface...