susanylee

susanylee

Family Man

Family Man - Heidi Cullinan, Marie Sexton 3.5 stars…Every Thanksgiving and Christmas I dread going home to my HUGE Korean extended family...aunts, uncles, and cousins (so many cousins)...forcing food down my mouth, nagging me about marriage and kids and jobs and life. I also LOVE it to death...because...well, it’s FAMILY!“Family Man” was the Italian version of the Lee Family holiday...except it’s about 2 gay men…and there’s actually a couple involved...and there’s a lot more angst. Close enough.Vince is an Italian Mafioso - j/k, he’s actually a plumber...with an MBA (huh?); a commitment-phobe in relationships (3 divorces), jobs (all over the place), and sexual orientation (Am I gay? Maybe I’m not gay? Am I bi? Maybe I’m not bi?)Trey is 10+ years his junior – a kid from the neighborhood, working 2 jobs, trying to put himself through school, taking care of his Grams, and trying hard not to be overwhelmed by his guilt for wanted his alcoholic mother out of his life. Oh yeah, and he’s a virgin. They are an unlikely pair who find themselves in love. And gosh darnit...it’s sweet! We get to experience Vince and Trey dating, falling for each other, seeing each other through all kinds of life’s struggles, and watching their love and commitment strengthen. The POV changes from chapter to chapter (Vince’s in 3rd, Trey’s in 1st person...wut?) were confusing and at times annoying. And to be honest, the story really is all over the place.BUT...I just really liked these 2 together...and I loved the BIG ITALIAN FAMILY coming together through thick and thin. Enjoyable.