susanylee

susanylee

After the End

After the End - Alex Kidwell Urgh…I hate when the author gets in the way of a perfectly good book.“After the End” has all the potential for an interesting read: Man loses his partner, is grieving, is a shell of a person, meets a new man, is scared to fall in love, but finally finds he can love 2 people in a lifetime. Love, loss. Love. Done. Throw in 2 interesting characters, both likable in their own way, and you have a surefire hit, right? Well, kinda…???I liked this book in that, as mentioned, good story and good characters. However, the author, who starts off with such promise…writing style almost lyrical…starts to repeat himself with the same thoughts, emotions, and eventually, the same descriptors over and over again.I get it, Brady moves with “grace”/is “graceful” (16 times)I get it, Brady gives Quinn butterflies (6 times)I get it, Brady makes Quinn feel “tight”/”tightness” in either his throat or his belly (13 times)Find a new way to describe this stuff…please. (Haven't ya heard? Variety is the spice of life!!!!) By the end, I was just aggravated. I had a hard time finishing because of the “beat me over the head” sense of “I feel like I’ve read this before”. This might not irritate others as much as it did me. Unfortunately, the hand full of bright spots plus the handful of truly emotional moments still could not make me overlook the rest.Good’ish. Decent.