susanylee

susanylee

Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1)

Darkfever - Karen Marie Moning 3 Stars feels generous, but I'll stick with it...with the hope that the series picks up...I ended this book thinking "Well, thank god that's over with"I had a really hard time with this for one reason alone: Mac. She's one of those really annoying female leads that just starts bugging me at first and then starts making me fume with distaste. She's "stubborn", which actually equates to frustratingly stupid. And, in my opinion, 1st person narratives only work if the person is likable enough to want to get to know. I found her shallow, ridiculously conceited, and as stupid-as-can-be.With that being said, the world-building, though almost painfully slow, is actually interesting and I'm curious where it leads (though I think V-Lane is kind of a ridiculous character).And, of course, there's Jericho Barrons. Yes, man of mystery. Yes, intriguing. Yes, sexy. Yes, I will read on because I want to get to know him more! Too little of him in this book.The book does pick up in the last 10%...better late than never...and makes me curious enough to want to read book 2. But, I think if my Goodreads community hadn't rated the SERIES as a whole so highly, I might have passed on it...I'm still hopeful...but I'm continuing on w/ caution and a short rope...I'm gonna need a LOT more Barrons and a LOT less annoying-Mac...and some answers would be nice too...