susanylee

susanylee

Love Lessons

Love Lessons - Heidi Cullinan 4.5 starsWow. I REALLY did NOT expect to LOVE this book THIS much!!!! It was just SO GOOD!Is it sweet? YES.Is there angst? Minor. Very minor.Is there smut? Minor. Very minor. Is it the typical YA formula? On the surface it might seem it, but it actually goes much deeper. I wouldn’t call this “YA”. Is it emotional? Yes, at times.Is it HEA? See question 1.This is a really different book than I’m used to from Heidi Cullinan. Honestly, the woman knows how to write a HOT story. Love Lessons, however, is more about the emotional connection and the growth from friends to lovers of 2 young men dealing with their pasts, figuring out their presents, and planning their futures. It’s a sweet, lovely, yet powerful story about finding yourself, finding your partner, finding your joy. Kelly is a college Freshman, a virgin, and pretty much the MOST ADORABLE KID EVER! He will join my "House of Huggables" (with Ryan from ICoS, Parker from American Love Songs, Conner from Social Skills, and Elliot from Catch My Breath…the HoH is getting crowded!) And though the story starts with him and his issues, it develops into him as a source of strength for his boyfriend and his family. Oh, and he LOVES Disney…so, duh…he’s awesome. Walter is a player, a commitmentphobe, a bit of a rebel rouser. He immediately takes to Kelly, befriends him, and does what he can to look out for him. This protectiveness is SUPER attractive and makes me want to be besties with him. When he finally realizes he’s in love and he can count on Kelly…gah…open the floodgates…what a beautiful part of the book. I loved it. The two of them as a couple make me HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TINY, minor, the-only-reason-this-isn’t-5-stars beef with the book: the epilogue. Goodness knows I love me an epilogue…but this one was almost…well…just…you’ll see…HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you can handle the sweetness!