susanylee

susanylee

The Future of Our Past

The Future of Our Past - Kahlen Aymes If you're a prolific romance book reader, you become accustomed to (and frankly, enjoy) a certain amount of cheesiness: unrealistic "bedroom" talk, uber-perfection of characters, etc...that's why we read, right? :) But, it doesn't mean we don't have our levels of standards! This book drove me bonkers. SO CHEESY. Every chapter was the EXACT same thing:I miss you.I love you so much I can't breathe.Make love.Both of us cry.Why did we waste so much time?Every single chapter! I would be ridiculously concerned if me and my partner cried EVERY time we made love! And I'd be even more concerned if after years and years together, the ONLY words we ever said to each other were "I miss you" and "I love you so much I can't breathe". I wanted to like the characters! Ryan, a Harvard Med student and Julia, a budding fashion editor. But they drove me crazy. When they weren't telling each other "I miss you", "I love you so much I can't breathe", they were snapping at each other and arguing! (and mind you, the way the author wrote their dialogue was HILARIOUS! TRUST ME...no present day 23 year old says "I want to give you pleasure", "my eyes beseeched her", "I need to taste you, my love"...I mean, C'MON!) Yes, the love between them was sweet and intense. But ultimately, w/o the last chapter(s) it was boring and grew tiresome. The story line had close to zero arcs until the very end with the cliffhanger. I feel like this entire book could have easily been reduced to the first 2-3 chapters of whatever book 2 will be. Thank goodness it was on free loan for kindle. And well-played Kahlen Aymes, the cliffhanger of course will force me to read the next book. But, I need to get over my aggravation with this first one and let my eyes roll back from behind my head...