susanylee

susanylee

The Sweet Gum Tree

The Sweet Gum Tree - Katherine Allred ”REREAD WEEK” (Nov 29, 2012)I cannot easily forget loving this book…it’s that enjoyable. What I had forgotten was HOW MUCH I loved this book! Sooooooo…good.Terrible title. Terrible cover. FANTASTIC read.I adore the younger years and spunky Alix. (8 year old Alix is my hero)I adore the older years and amazing Nick. (35 year old Nick is my dream man)I read this book with a Southern accent in my head…imagining sweet tea, peach pie, and bows in my hair. :)Sweet, emotional, painful, lovely.New observation: I so, so wish this wasn’t 1st person POV. I still can’t wrap my head around what Nick was thinking when he left, while he was gone, and what made him come back. I need some kind of better understanding of that…it feels just out of my grasp because I only get Alix’s thoughts and how she interprets Nick’s reasoning. Frustrating.Original rating: 5 starsReread rating: 5 stars*****************************ORIGINAL REVIEWThis is the kind of book that you read through quickly to whet your palate, fall in love w/ the characters, find out what happens...and then re-read it immediately again, slowly this time, to savor all the goodness.My heart ached and celebrated and rejoiced and pained and relieved and loved with every chapter.My goodness did I love Alix and Nick. And the epilogue was such a perfect wrap up that I just felt so...satisfied.