susanylee

susanylee

Chase the Storm

Chase the Storm - V.M Waitt Wow. This book, by the end, really just stole my heart. The pace, which I thought was painfully slow in the beginning, turned out to be exactly what made this story as beautiful as it was. Elijah, our 19 year old narrator, grew up in a privileged home with parents who have never really understood him. Against his wishes, but to please his family, he heads to Harvard to study business. Desperately unhappy, lost, and defeated after his first year, he spontaneously buys a beat up truck and heads wherever the road leads him. The road leads him to Nebraska…and onto Chase McKenzie’s farm.Chase is such a heartbreaking character. Having experienced loss over and over again, he’s basically shut himself down and resigned himself to living his quiet life on his horse & wheat farm. Needing an extra pair of hands to help out, he takes Elijah in and not only teaches him how to be a farmer, but eventually, also, how to be a man.Elijah, though naïve, innocent, and inexperienced actually had such a burning strength inside of him. I loved how huge his heart was for Chase. His heart loved big enough to forgive Chase’s own internal struggles manifested in mistreatment, at times, of Elijah. And his commitment to seeing Chase to a place of healing was lovely.Chase…*sigh*…I’ve never wanted to just hug and console a man as much as I did Chase. Broken, hardened, and painfully sad, the moment he begins allowing Elijah in, and even all the struggles to reconcile their relationship in his life following, all I wanted was to see him happy. This book’s pace is slow and repetitive. But I realized about ¼ of the way in that this must be intentional. The life lived on this farm is slow and repetitive. And when something was introduced out of the norm, I felt as affected by those experiences as I believe Elijah was as well. The bond between these 2 characters was a slow growth and the end result is truly one of the most beautiful love stories I’ve read in a long time. Emotional…I cried…a lot.Sexy…damn are the two of them sexy together.Sweet.Heartaching.Powerful.Lovely.This review can also be found at: http://sidlove.wordpress.com/2013/06/27/book-review-chase-the-storm-by-v-m-waitt/