susanylee

susanylee

From the Ashes (Fire and Rain)

From the Ashes - Daisy Harris 3.5 starsNew-to-me author Daisy Harris just picked up another fan! I really, really enjoyed this book. It’s surprisingly sweet, very low on the angst-o-meter, and the 2 MC’s were just so likable it was hard not to get sucked in!The blurb is spot on for what you’ll find in this story. Jesse is new to Seattle after having been kicked out of his family home for being gay. He doesn’t have a lot of close friends or connections…and this becomes painfully evident when he comes home from grocery shopping to find his studio apartment on fire. In shock, he’s not quite sure what he’s going to do.Tomas, one of the fireman on the scene, is immediately drawn to Jesse and provides him with support during the crisis and offers to let Jesse (and a newly adopted dog!) stay with him. Tomas is the hero in pretty much every way…taking care of Jesse, driving him all over town for school and work, and being the rock that Jesse needs.Though the attraction is immediate, due to Jesse’s issues…and the fact that Tomas is in the closet…the relationship takes a little bit to build. The story is not new and there are some actions/situations/behaviors that are a bit unrealistic. But the author manages to write a truly sexy hero in Tomas. It’s impossible to not like him and want him…and want him to end up happy. In Jesse, the author presents a sympathetic, but not pathetic, character who you cheer for to stand on his own but also want to embrace and take of. I loved the chemistry between these two and when they finally realize that they’re in love…well, it was just such an “awwww” moment. Like I mentioned, the story has little to no angst and isn’t necessarily crafted in the most original way. Still, Jesse and Tomas are a great couple and…if for no other reason…you MUST read this for the HOT HOT HOT cover! This review can also be found at: