susanylee

susanylee

Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)

Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1) - Jeff Erno If I ever decide to write a book, I know it will be YA. The recipe is already there, you just have to put it all in, mix it around, give it your own flavor, and voila!So, it’s no shock that “Dumb Jock” is about Jeff, a small, shy, smart, bullied kid who’s forced into tutoring Brett, the big, perfect, star quarterback jock…who’s also deep in the closet. And as most YA books go, there are your stereotypical, over-the-top side characters that include religious zealots, a tough-guy coach who spews hate words, unaccepting parents, a gay teacher/mentor, and the gorgeous but brainless cheerleader fake-girlfriend. I am one who EATS UP these stories. I love them. I love the little guy. I cheer for the big guy. I feel happy when they fall in love. I hate the haters. And I love those that support them and help them find their way. And as far as those basics go, Dumb Jock does really well. HOWEVER, the author then throws in so much more stuff that just doesn’t fit. Some school youth group called Campus Life. A random lesbian friend who gets kicked out of church. A suicide. A family death. There was just A LOT to take in. And though some of these moments were really emotional (and I cried…boy did I cry!) and some tender and some inspirational…it was just A LOT to take in. Along with ALL of this, the writing was all over the place. I’d be reading about a scene and the next paragraph would have Jeff reminiscing about that same scene. And then I’d be back in that scene. It was confusing (