susanylee

susanylee

King Perry

King Perry - Edmond Manning This book has done the seemingly impossible: it has rendered me speechless.*crickets*Ok, so that didn’t last long but really…WTF? I’m not quite sure what to say here. King Perry is quite possibly one of the MOST ROMANTIC books I have ever read. It is also hella weird…like, really, really weird. This book had me crying time and time again with poignant, emotional moments. I also was annoyed the rest of the time. It is original and quirky and gorgeous.It is confusing and outrageous. I enjoyed it so many parts of this. I had a hard time getting through the rest of it. Contradictions abound. I think I have a love/hate relationship with this book. But the feelings...both good and bad...are strong. I think this could have been a 5-star, “favorites” for me, but for this: despite all the romance and grand gestures and insanity, I really, really had a problem with Vin’s Messiah-complex and emotional manipulation. I do think that no matter how much you love someone, that’s a line that should not be crossed. It felt abusive to me a bit. But, that’s the thing: I don’t think this book is meant to be a romance book, though wildly romantic. I read it more as a fairy tale/self-help manual on how to come to grips with loss and healing. In any case, if you’re looking to read a book that’s a total head-trip, but that will embrace and fill your heart to the brim…I recommend you giving this a try. Full review at: http://sidlove.wordpress.com/2013/07/10/book-review-king-perry-by-edmund-manning/