susanylee

susanylee

Enlightened (Little Boy Lost, #1)

Enlightened - J.P. Barnaby 3.5 stars*rant before review* ...I feel very, very broken over those kids who have to go through their youth/schools feeling afraid, or ashamed, or having to hide, or being bullied for who they are. This book has this constant underlying fear buzzing through it as these 2 gay boys grow up in a small, very conservative town. More than anything, I wish I knew a way to help...Let me just get out of the way the housekeeping stuff: the writing isn't great, IMO. Using 1st person POV only works w/ a very strong character to see things through. Though I love Brian, having to read this through the eyes of a teenager made me frustrated as a reader. Maybe it was actually GREAT writing to capture a very simplistic view point...but ultimately for me, it felt choppy and didn't flow. HOWEVER...*sigh*...all I can feel by the end of this book is a DEEP, DEEP desire and need to protect Brian and Jamie. I hate that they have to live in such fear of what their tiny, bigoted town would think of them being gay. They are simply 2 boys in love trying to stay committed to one another. It breaks my heart over and over again the measures they had to go to to keep their relationship a secret and what eventually happens to them in the end...Book 1 of this series is VERY YA, from my perspective (other than on-page sex scenes...which I actually found to be very sweet). But, I hear that the rest of the series progresses away from that (undoubtedly, as they grow up...)I'm scared to go through the rest of these books because I already feel very attached to the boys. We'll see what happens...Sweet story, very emotional & a bit depressing...