susanylee

susanylee

Afflicted

Afflicted - Brandon Shire ”REREAD WEEK” (Nov 26, 2012)When I first read this book, it was still fairly new and there was just a handful of us swooning over it. Love that it’s built a following. It’s lovely. It’s an experience unlike I’ve had with other books…calling on other senses to get inside the heads and hearts of our MC’s. I’m reminded how Brandon Shire uses heightened descriptors with smell, touch, sound to tell the story. Shocking when I first read it, but really, really impressive (and sometimes funny…) during the reread.After the reread, I definitely felt like the book is just an intro (and actually book 2 is released on Dec 6!). We got to know just enough about each of the characters, but their relationship is still so new (I think the whole book spans only 1-2 weeks of them knowing and falling for each other). Excited to read more!New observation: I have no idea, really, what either of these MC’s looks like. Shire definitely makes it clear that they’re both gorgeous. But, I didn’t get any “typical” description of height, hair color, eye color, etc. I wonder if it was intentional since one of the MC’s is blind. But, it got me curious. And, it left me feeling a tiny bit disconnected to them since I couldn’t picture them clearly in my head.Original Rating: 4.5 starsReread Rating: 4 stars**********************ORIGINAL REVIEW4.5 stars...Kudos to you, Brandon Shire. This book was lovely and the way it was written felt LYRICAL.I really enjoyed the angle of Hunter as a blind lead. The way things were described down to the tiniest detail permeated from the pages. Things we take for granted as "sightlings", had to be written from such a different perspective (smell, touch, sound) that it I almost wished I could have read this book with my eyes closed!At first, it took some getting used to how VERY descriptive passages were: "...the menagerie of odors that came with the entrance of each group...Vicks VapoRub, deodorized tampons, car grease, Kool Aid, grape chewing gum, sweat, leater, hair grease, more sweat, oranges, the curdle of sour breast milk, urine, Icy Hot, and a whole other host of industrialized miasma he couldn't even name..." (I mean, c'mon...yuck!). BUT, it is amazing how once you get used to it, those very details are what placed you smack dab into the middle of Hunter's POV. Suddenly, lines like: "He smelled of feet and armpits and ball sweat and Hunter wanted to taste every single one of those flavors." came across as ROMANTIC! (I wouldn't believe me either...until I read it!)Dillon's and Hunter's relationship was beautiful and I loved getting to know the trauma and hardships of their pasts and seeing how it manifested into the insecurities for their present and future with each other. Very touching...I'm dying to read the sequel...Highly recommended!