susanylee

susanylee

Who We Are

Who We Are - T.J. Klune 2.5 StarsStop while you’re aheadToo much of a good thingSophomore slumpAhhh yes, all those warnings that make you worry about reading a sequel to a book you really liked. I never listen. I should’ve listened.I loved “Bear, Otter, and the Kid” (surprisingly). And though I had no need for a sequel, there it was…and so I read it. I almost DNF’d this book. If I hadn’t loved the characters from book 1, I would have been so aggravated by how this was written. It felt like TJ Klune took all the good things about the original book and just decided to raise the volume…because more of a good thing makes it better, right? I don’t know if it’s that simple.Everything that was sweet became sappy. Everything that was charming became manipulative.Everything that was subtle became over-the-top.Everything that was quirky became neurotic.I actually found myself annoyed with the very things I loved the most about book 1 – the characters! Bear’s inner monologue drove me nuts! ”…aren’t you sick and tired of hearing from me by now? Christ, I know I can go on and on. Sometimes I get sick of hearing myself, so I know how it must be for you.” Yes, Bear, you’re right.The Kid starting being such a brat at times I wanted to put him in Time Out. And Otter (oh, but I do love me some Otter) fell to the background as a supporting character.*sigh*There were some highlights (few, but some) and I can’t entirely hate on this book no matter how annoying it was. I just kinda wish it wasn’t ever written…