susanylee

susanylee

Little Boy Lost; Abandoned

Abandoned - J.P. Barnaby This series is doing a number on me; it's surprisingly emotional for me and causing me to wrestle with a lot of my own questions of what I can do to help real kids finding themselves in these situations. The storyline isn't new and original...I'm sure there are 100's of other books out there about gay kids, and bullying, and bigotry, and violence...but for some reason Brian and Jamie really stick with me and have gotten under my skin.I still am not a huge fan of the 1st person POV from Brian. It's just too simplistic (but, again, probably realistic). It gets irritating and I battle the itch to skim (and that's bad news considering the books are short!). For book 2, I feel like everything that happened didn't necessarily need to have an ENTIRE book devoted to it to move the series along...a lot of repetition of similar scenes. My guess is that I'll get to the end of 6 books and wish it had all been condensed into 3. Plus here were also SO MANY holes; so many other options to decisions made to seem optionless. It's a bit aggravating. A lot of "why can't you do this instead?" thrown out there from me to the book... But, I'm INVESTED...in the characters, in the story, in the series. I'm captivated enough to NEED to know how this all plays out. And that's a good thing...so on to book 3.