susanylee

susanylee

The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5)

The Dark Tide - Josh Lanyon FINALLY! I read all 5 books in a weekend. Through books 1-4, I felt so-so about the stories, had increasing loyalty and favor for Adrien, consistently hated Jake, and wanted, hoped, prayed for more...better...at the very least, a HAPPILY EVER AFTER for Adrien. My persistence paid off! Book 5 finally brought the series up to its potential! It had it's usual Adrien English series mystery, which I'm liking more and more. But, the best part of this book...FINALLY, Jake is out of the closet and...I LOVED HIM! I just really loved how much he ADORED Adrien. And it was clear, though Adrien had other, safer suiters (Mel, Guy), his heart beat for Jake. *Note: the lunch scene where they met Harry Newman...and w/o thought, casually, easily exchanged lunch plates...SO SUBTLE, SO TELLING, SO BEAUTIFUL!Some great quotes: "If you pressed me to say why I loved him, I can say not more than because he was he, and I was I." - Michel de Montaigne "Love you? Of course I love you. Baby, I fucking worship you." - Jake "I've always been grateful - even when I was married, even when I thought it was over between us - that it was you I feel in love with." - Jake It takes until the FIFTH book for this to get really, really good...and there's NOTHING after this? WHAT? Not even an epilogue? Grrrr...