susanylee

susanylee

Disasterology 101 - Taylor V. Donovan This book is my first by author Taylor V. Donovan and I’m hooked. It is odd, and quirky, and uncomfortable, and random, and sad, and hilarious, and sweet, and crude, and EXHAUSTING...and seriously enjoyable. Kevin is a recently divorced dad of 3 who comes out as gay and finds himself a 36-yr-old “virgin” of sorts. Dying to have his first gay sexual experience, he heads into a sex shop for a “peep show”. To his surprise he encounters Cedric and immediately is drawn to him.Cedric…well, Cedric has issues. He suffers from severe OCD and is a serious germaphobe. He has resigned to living a life with his conditions and tries to basically scare people away with his multiple piercings, his gansta dress-code, and his cornrows. He wears leather fingerless gloves to avoid direct contact. He is…erm…hard to get to know, hard to get to like, hard to get to love. The book starts a bit slow…the author taking her time to introduce us to each character and the struggles they face separately all the while wondering about the other. When the couple finally does reconnect, I quite enjoyed the challenges they faced as they developed their relationship. Cedric is complicated and I found myself wanting to get to know him more and more. He is not entire likable but ultimately, so lovable. Kevin is patient and kind and supportive and rock solid. I struggled a bit when the book turned from 2 people, each with issues to overcome, to Cedric having the issues and Kevin being the “haven”. The balance of power, so to speak , shifted from equally challenged, to one being the “problem” and one being the “fixer”. The strength of the book, however, lies in the characters themselves. The layers that needed to be peeled away to get to the core were so worth it and I just loved getting the chance to be in each of their heads and their hearts. Cedric’s OCD was especially fascinating and I felt so sad for the challenges he faced because of it, but so proud for the triumphs along the way to deal with it.Warning: there are kid parts to this book (I know that’s a deal-breaker for a few of you), but they’re handled well and not annoying. :)Totally recommended reading. Full review also found here: http://sidlove.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/pre-release-review-disasterology-101-by-taylor-v-donovan/